What is a Tenancy Agreement?

A Tenancy Agreement is a contract signed by both the tenant and the landlord/agent. The Agreement will set out all the rules to which both parties must comply.


What is Rent Smart Wales?

Rent Smart Wales is a service within Cardiff Council, in place to administer the requirements for landlord registration and agent and landlord licensing under the Housing (Wales) Act 2014. The Welsh Ministers formally designated Cardiff Council on the 1st April 2015. This means Cardiff Council are the Licensing Authority who will do this work for every local authority area in Wales. The reason the Welsh Government chose one Council to act as administrator for the whole of Wales is to make the service easier for landlords, agents and tenants to access. Brinsons is registered with Rent Smart Wales.


What does a Tenancy Deposit Scheme do?

A Tenancy Deposit Scheme will protect the money for the tenant and can offer assistance should there be a dispute about the deposit at the end of the tenancy. We are registered by the RICS (The Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors) to operate a Tenants Deposit Scheme.


What does ARLA stand for?

We are a member of ARLA (Association of Residential Lettings Agents), which is the UK’s foremost professional body for letting agents. This ensures that Landlords can be assured they will receive the best management for their property. From the end of November 2016, all Agents and Landlords need to be registered and licensed (if conducting property management). Brinsons are committed to complying with the Housing (Wales) Act 2014 that has been set.


Can I end my Tenancy at any time?

If you are held into a fixed term contract, you will be liable for the rent until the fixed term is finished. If you are no longer in a fixed term contract (ie. a rolling contract) your tenancy agreement will define the notice you need to give. Notice has to be given in writing.


What if my circumstances change and I am unable to pay my rent?

It is the tenant's responsibility to ensure that the rent is paid each month on time and in full. There are times when circumstances change which is out of the control of the tenant and it is important that the Landlord's Agent is advised of such changes immediately to ensure rent arrears do not become unmanageable.


Rent Guarantee

With the changing economy, rent arrears is a continual concern and protecting your rental income is extremely important. We work with a referencing supplier to be able to offer our Landlords rent protection as well as covering associated costs (ie potential eviction), to give our Landlords peace of mind whilst renting our their property. Please enquire with our rental department for more information.


What do I need to arrange prior to renting out my property?

You will need to ensure that the property is safe and free from health hazards. Gas and electrical equipment should be safely installed, maintained and the appropriate certificates provided to include an EICR (Electrical Installation Conditions Report). The property also requires an EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) for the property.


How can I protect myself from bad tenants/property fraud?

References are so very important, the more details you can obtain about a tenant helps you make the correct decision in choosing a tenant, don’t let a tenant rush you into making a decision, take your time and obtain the facts required. Always establish the identity of the landlord/tenant a copy of passport or driving licence and utility bills are necessary.