Brinsons Tenant Guide
Our long established residential lettings department handles a large number of properties across the South Wales area.
We have a long standing policy of handling only good quality and well maintained properties which has earned us a high level of respect amongst our Landlords and Tenants alike.
Please view our available rental properties. If you are looking for a specific property please call our team and register your requirements, so that we can contact you should a suitable property become available.
We would always recommend researching the area and property prior to commencing with the tenancy. An administration fee is charged to cover the necessary paperwork involved in obtaining satisfactory references. We will obtain references from your employer and a previous/current Landlord if applicable. (A guarantor may also be required). In addition some Landlords request copies of bank statements. You will need to provide personal and photographic identification (such as a passport, driving licence and utility bills). Once the necessary checks have been completed, you will be advised if your application is acceptable. Please note, should your application be unsuccessful, the administration fee is non refundable.
A Tenancy Agreement will be drawn up either on a short or long term basis and details will be agreed between the parties for commencement dates and rent payment due date. The relevant documentation will need to be signed by the tenant and Landlord/Agent. You will be informed prior to the Tenancy Agreement being signed whether the property will be managed by Brinsons or managed by the Landlord.
This is made up as follows:
- The tenant will be required to pay a Referencing fee of £200 for a single applicant and £250 for a joint applicant. If a guarantor is required a further £50 will be due.
- On signing the tenancy agreement one month’s rent and the agreed deposit (bond) will be required in cleared funds.
- Rent is due on the anniversary date of the commencement of the tenancy
- A fee of £25 is due from the tenant for a tenancy renewal.
Inventory/Schedule of Condition
We will undertake and produce a detailed inventory of the property together with a Schedule of Condition prior to the tenant moving into the property. Sufficient time and opportunity will be allowed for the tenants to check the documents for any discrepancies. When a tenant vacates the property a detailed inventory and check out report will be completed and a report issued to the tenant.
Your deposit will be held by The DPS (Deposit Protection Service) under the Custodial Scheme
We will notify the relevant council, water and utility companies of the move, however the tenant will be responsible for notifying any telephone providers, arranging contents insurance and any other additional services they require.
The law implies a condition into every tenancy agreement that the tenant must use their home in a ‘tenant-like’ way. This applies whether you have a written or an oral tenancy agreement. This generally means:
- doing minor repairs yourself, such as changing fuses and light bulbs.
- keeping your home reasonably clean.
- not causing any damage to the property and making sure your visitors don’t cause any damage.
- using any fixtures and fittings properly, (eg not blocking a toilet by flushing something unsuitable down it)
The tenancy agreement may also set out some express terms on what your responsibilities are for repairs, for example, that you are responsible for decorating your home.
With our management service we are required to carry out regular visits to the property. The main purpose of such visits is to check the property is being kept to a standard the Landlord would require and to give the tenant the opportunity to make us aware of any potential problems.
Our offices are open from 9am to 5.30pm should you have any maintenance issues, please contact our maintenance co-ordinator on 02920 867711.
For any out of hours maintenance issues, please contact;
- Gas Emergency Line - 0800 052 0400 - Western Power Distribution
- Eletrical Emergency Line - 029 2088 8606 - Starlight Eletrical Services
- Plumbing Emergency Line - 07859 001482 - Electrical & Gas Care
- Locksmith Emergency Line - 07814 814184 - Curley Locks
Please also be advised you can also use www.fixflo.com, where you will be able to send us an instant alert to your maintenance issue.
End of Tenancy
At the end of the tenancy an Inventory and Final Report will be carried out (the tenant has the right to be present for this if they would like to do so). If there are any defects or damage to the property these will be brought to the tenant’s attention and quotes will be obtained to rectify the issue and money will be requested from the deposit to cover this. If no issues are noted the full deposit will be returned to the tenant.